View Single Post
Old March 24, 2018   #69
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Here's my formula for my Walmart grow bags, the bags will hold up to 7gal's of mix, 7 gal does a great job when growing indeterminate tomato varieties. I use Majestic potting mix... Not potting soil! Up here in Wisc. its one of the cheapest and IMO one of the best, fill the Walmart bag 2/3 full of potting mix then pack it down a bit now add 1 cup garden lime not barn lime! Now 1/4 cup of bone meal, 2TBS of Epsom salt, 2tbs calcium nitrate now mix everything well. Now add water totally soaking the potting mix till the water begins to get the Walmart bag wet. next step top the bag off almost to the top leave leave about 3" from the top after you pack it down with more dry potting mix. Now add 1-1/2 cup ring of 10 - 10- 10 fertilizer around the edge of the bag now add just enough potting mix to cover the fertilizer... Add your plant and your done!

I put the grow bag in a 20" 2-1/2" deep saucer that I fill with water, I never water from the top I just add water as needed to the saucer never let the saucer go dry.

Some folks put the grow bags in kiddie pools the choice is yours kiddie pools are cheaper but they look like crap on your patio or backyard... Here's a pic of my set up from last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 2017 fully planted 011.JPG (291.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 2017 fully planted 015.JPG (293.1 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Jetstar; March 25, 2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote