Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old September 23, 2017   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Sometimes canning season is an experiment......and I am winging this one. I am thinking that converting it from a cook and eat to a canned recipe. any thoughts?
this is a local dish that is served in the chicken houses in Barberton. there is nothing like it anywhere I am thinking, but I could be totally wrong. It is Hungarian and Serbian by history. these restaurants were primarily run by these immigrants. Sometimes they serve it really thin and other times it could be very thick. maybe it depends on how early in the pot you got a dish of it, I don't know, but it is different and yummy. it is used to dip your french fries in if you want ( not those little itty bitty fries like Mc D's, but those great big long fresh cut fries like at the fair). I just eat it with a spoon.
Barberton Hot Sauce
4-6 cloves garlic
5#'s or so of tomatoes diced or pureed
4 finely diced bell peppers
1/2 to 1 c finely diced celery
3 or 4 hot peppers of your choice
cook in crock pot until soft. 4-6 hours maybe
add a splash of apple cider vinegar
1/2 to 1 c brown sugar
1-2 T sweet paprika
2-3 T butter
add these to taste .
place in pints or quarts and can for 25 min at 10#'s
add rice after opening either cooked or simmer raw rice until done adding water as needed in small amounts until done.

any thoughts?
I have considered this for many days now and wanted to give an honest opinion on it with some good practical scientific information.
Number one. the toxin can be killed if boiled for ten minutes at 212 degrees longer if the altitude is higher.
Still looking for the chart for killing the spores as far as time and temperature.
There is a good one out there but cant find it again.
Here is one to get people started.
This is not an open invitation to do things not recommended but to show folks a little more about what they are dealing with.
This is going to be a long post so bare with me.
Some of it will be examples of other things in like some way out there but it will get the point across.
Would a person eat something they knew had the toxin in it even after it was boiled?
I wouldn't.
Would a person eat something they didn't know whether or not had the toxin in it after it was boiled but just being on the safe side?
The latter being processed properly.
I would.
The latter is what we are told to do.
The former is what we are told not to do.
Both having more or less the same results.
(More or less) is a big statement here.

An example in other ways of life is.
Would a person have intimate relations with another person if they knew they had an STD even with protection?
Or would they use this same protection if they might have one but didn't know?
Again the latter is what we are told to do.
In both cases you cant look at the suspected food or person and tell anything.
In one the food looks to good to be contaminated the other the person is too pretty or hansom to have anything.
This is a question I have asked many people.
It makes them stop and think.

Next is a predicament that confounds me to no end.
Potatoes.
They do not have any approved recipes or formulas for canning potatoes with the skin on.
BUT you see people do it all the time.'
The reason for no information is the skin may have the spores on it from the soil.
Doesn't the processing kill this stuff?
Another is I see people all the time on the web canning dried beans with water in them.
Nowhere is there any approved recipe for this.
Both of the above I will not do.
When it comes to salsa or any other made up recipe I can I do my best to find something like it and give it long hard thought.
Then I over kill.

An example in the above recipe to be on the safe side I would use pickled garlic celery and peppers.
Then I would acidify with citric acid at the recommended amounts per recipe.
Just to be on the safe side.
Then can at the recommended times you are doing.
Many of the salsas I make are acidified in this way.

My mind tells me what you are doing is just fine.
The pints for sure.
But by all means dont take my word for it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote