View Single Post
Old July 18, 2017   #112
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I found that heavy mulching of okra delayed RKN for a while and keeping it constantly watered also helped. I grew mostly Cowhorn okra and usually did quite well with it. In spots where the RKN was really bad the plants would stunt and grow slowly and some wouldn't even make it to the production stage before starting to die.

I have pulled out about a dozen of my grafted tomato plants from my first planted tomato bed and checked all of them for RKN when removing them and have not found one yet showing any RKN. One end of the bed they were planted in was always one of the worst spots for RKN. I did see severe RKN on some of my cucumbers that were removed but they were less severe in the bed where I used a lot of peat and mulched them heavily.

Salt I feel your pain with the combo of RKN and fusarium since I too suffer from the same problems. I did find that over time adding lots of organic matter to the soil and using raised beds did lessen the extent of RKN damage and the severity; but every time I neglected to keep up the organic content the RKN problem would worsen. In just a two year period not adding organic matter would result in beds with soil far too sandy and much worse RKN problems.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote