View Single Post
Old June 24, 2018   #351
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Salt, do you prune your plants? This study was a long time ago, but I don't thinks tomato plants have changed much. I think this might be the study that changed my way of doing things. I grew up being taught that you had to remove suckers on tomato plants. Never questioned why. But then I read this. I do not prune my plants in containers, either. There are advantages to pruning, like larger fruit, and maybe faster ripening if you live in a short season area. I don't really care so much about those things, I want the most fruit in good condition and the healthiest plants I can. I wonder if maybe because plants store water in the leaves, the more leaves they have, the more they can adapt to overly wet or dry conditions before it effects the fruit. Anyway, next time you might try pruning half your plants and not pruning the other half and see what happens. I wish there were more actual univeristy studies on this, but this is the only one I know of. It always helps to see if results are reproducable from one study to the next.

http://horticulture.oregonstate.edu/...ng-method-1978
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote