View Single Post
Old June 11, 2018   #318
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I have so much to learn about container gardening. My first attempt has been fun. Spacing - I thought I had that figured out with two rows, but I was wrong. I have tomato plants growing too close together at 3.5' apart and the rows being 5' apart. My health played a major roll in that. I should have had the bigger cages already built and I should have kept the plants trimmed. I wasn't able to do either.

The different mixes sounded like a good thing to experiment with, and I'm glad I did. I saw next to no difference. What I have noticed is not what wanted. The tomatoes don't taste right. Sungold tastes nothing like those grown in ground. The taste difference is enough to make me not want to grow tomatoes again - and yet, I want to improve the mixes and make them taste right.

As I have written all along, I'm letting you know my experience in container gardening.
Let me guess, they taste watered down.

Mine don't and I dont know why other than luck and I dont believe in luck.

All of the tomatoes one of our members here tasted watered down too from raised beds including sungold.
Mine tasted like some exotic fruit.
The tomatoes in my containers this year are on the acid side which is fine by me.
Nothing like store bought.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote