View Single Post
Old July 18, 2015   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I have been making a good study of the butternut trellis and I have concluded it is likely the lack of nutrients at the far end of the vines causing those yellow babies. They seem to occur soon after a big healthy butternut. Next year I will probably plant more densely and trim suckers after one leaf.

Pollination seems okay; every morning I check there is probably an average of about 1 bee per bloom. I did hand pollinate three flowers one morning, and another yesterday morning just to make sure. By afternoon, there was a honeybee in that last one, so it was likely unnecessary. I tied a bow on them as marker and they are all looking good, not yellowing.

I have taken to just knocking off the yellow ones when I see them. Some are as small as 1/4" when I first see them - the yellow pops in the morning light. But there are still a lot of good ones coming on. I put green twisters next to the green babies as a marker; that way I can check if they start normal and then yellow. So far, none have done that. And yes, I am an idiot, the green twisters are hard to see but for some reason I felt the need to LITERALLY color code them.

Last week there were two yellow ones that got to about 2", but again they never properly flowered. I had let them on to see what happened. One of those may be the one that looks like BER. I don't have much experience with BER with tomatoes, thankfully. Judging by the description in that article posted by Carolyn, I don't think this is BER.

Fred, I'm glad you mentioned harvesting. I have not thought much about that and should read into it. What tells should I look for to know when to pick them? It seems early to me since the ones I traded for last year were on a garden rack in November. We ate the last ones in February and those last few had gone from great to amazing and tasted very nutty.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote