View Single Post
Old July 22, 2019   #15
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Roselle Update

The Roselle in the container is just going bonkers. Calyxes everywhere along all branches. The plant is now about 4' tall. I had been thinking about cutting the container plant back to induce branching but it was producing so well I decided not to.

The three others which are planted in the ground are slowly getting more bushy but not adding much height. The only calyxes on each one are just a few inside the plant near the central leader. Here are two of the three:

The container plant is growing in a rather loose nursery mix, gets watered every day and receives 1/2 gallon of Miracle Grow once a week.

The ones in the ground have been pretty much left to themselves. They have been watered a few times when rain has become scarce but they've never looked thirsty. The only fertilizer they've gotten is maybe two treatments of 1/2 gallon Miracle Grow each about four weeks apart.

KenB, I've read that the calyxes should be harvested when about 3 weeks old while they are still plump. I've noticed that the calyxes are tight at the top and at some point the top starts to open just a little. Would you know whether the barely open-topped calyxes or the tight topped ones are prime picking for fresh made tea or best left to dry?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote