View Single Post
Old April 6, 2014   #41
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

First let me say excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanP View Post

The reasons:
1 - Longer season varieties may allow for a longer time for tubers to grow. That is the main reason this could be preferred to use longer season potatoes. Short season potatoes typically do not grow tubers off stolons. They set tubers in a single layer, and then go into senecense. Short season or early tuberization is not a trait that is likely to increase yield.
This sounds like they act the same way determinate tomatoes act y setting potatoes all at the same time and in the same place. The more I see parallel mutations between species in a family the more I wonder if we understand genetics as well as we think we do.

Quote:
Those who have done the most research have been the Kenosha Potato Project, which involves growers in Wisconsin as well as many overseas. One of their goals is to research and identify traits that allow for higher yields in vertically grown potatoes, for the purpose of assisting urban growers who have limited space. This is a long term project, and as traits are identified and bred for, or specified potatoes are tested, we may see yield increases, but it is entirely unrealistic to expect the 99 lbs per tuber type of promotion.
Could you explain more about this project.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote