View Single Post
Old July 2, 2015   #23
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

I am very appreciative to you both for helping me to find (or not find) the original Livingston Acme - not the dozens of off-varieties. I believe my grandmother (b. 1888) grew this variety (as she grew other Livingston varieties) in WV - which Nostalgia drives my quest.

As for taste, Virginia Agricultural Report (1909) stated, "stout, very vigorous, fruit medium to size, color purple red, flavor gentle sub-acid, pleasant to the taste, medium early variety here, good variety for home garden."

So I have to think it was a decent tomato for home growers which is why Livingston sold it in it's catalogs from 1875-1940. If it was a dud variety, it wouldn't have had a 65+ year run.

As my people are from the old Dominion (I currently live in Michigan), I was hoping to find the original. If I find old seed, of course I would ask Carolyn to bring it back from the dead - and I would give seed to Mike/Victory as he would have the means to share it with the world. Someone, somewhere has to have an old packet of Livingston's Acme seed.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote