View Single Post
Old May 8, 2007   #11
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

She calls it the sprawl method, and it works well in some places, not so well in others, as I understand it. There has been discussion about it here in other threads. I think in the warmer climates it can lead to problems with bugs and disease. Up north, and in windy climes, I think it does pretty good. You may can try a search for Sprawling, or the Sprawl Method.

But to cages, staking, etc., a guy named Charles Wilber over in Alabama has a really fun tomato book called How To Grow World Record Tomatoes, and his caging is amazing. He has to get on scaffolding to reach the top of some plants! Seems one grew nearly 30 feet tall. His plants and their production is virtually unbelievable. If you don't have the book it might interest you to see how he uses cages and stakes...and scaffolding! He has HUGE plants. The pictures are great...and makes seeing believing.

You have a good looking set-up. If you seek height, you might can sleeve over your metal posts with a larger diameter metal or PVC pipe the height you need. Or strap a 12-16 foot 4X4 to it with large hose clamps. Just an idea.

Don