View Single Post
Old August 24, 2020   #15
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

My wife came home from a trip to the mall with a packet of cherry tomato seeds; it turned out to be labelled " very cherry mix" including all colors.

No way to tell what is going to grow, I planted 12 seeds, got 11 plants. One is a pretty standard-issue cherry like Camp Joy, two look to be Isis Candy (which is good, because I have never grown it) and 5 are a yellow determinate dwarf like yellow tumblin' tom. One is very much like Matt's Wild Cherry in flavor, but the clusters are smaller and the cherries larger. One is a big yellow indeterminate covered in fruit, and one might be a green....or very late.

The one like Matt's wild cherry is right alongside the gate, and I find myself mauling it mercilessly as I go past. It seems worth keeping even if I don't know the name.

The little yellow ones I have so many of are going in the compost; when they are all that's ripe, they're fine, but they crack if the weatherman reports rain by the end of the week.

I had saved seeds for a variety I got as "Chet's Italian Black" from a Wisconsin gardener. My seeds were labelled 2007, after originally recieving some in 2004...so apparently I grew them out once, but didn't keep my notes. 3/24 came up; I gave one to my daughter and kept two.

It's not a black. It COULD be tigerella, but it's just slightly larger and tastier than I remember Tigerella...and the gel stays green even as they ripen past the best eating stage.

We grew a couple of hybrids: "Fantastic" has always filled canning jars, and "Mountain Magic", which wasn't really magical.

The rest of my growing is dominated by old commercial varieties like Faribo Gold and Wisconsin 55.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk