View Single Post
Old March 12, 2007   #10
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Don't know if this will help, but here's my favorite cornbread recipe. It's really buttery and moist. I have made this recipe in an oblong pan - mine's slightly smaller than 9 x 13, but it should be fine.

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1-14 oz. can cream style corn
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
4 - 6 slices bacon (optional)
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
4 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Fry bacon, drain and chop. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat just until light and fluffy. Fold in remaining ingredients.
2. I use four 6” round x 1” deep cast iron pans to bake the cornbread*. Since you probably won’t have that size, you can use a well seasoned cast iron skillet or cornbread pan instead. Spray the cast iron with a non-stick cooking spray or rub lightly with bacon grease or vegetable oil, and add batter. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
3. You may have to increase the time depending on the size skillet you use. Also good if you stick the skillet under the broiler when cornbread is done baking to lightly brown the top crust (watch very carefully!).
*My round cast iron pans hold about 2 cups of water each. If your cast iron skillet can hold 8 cups of water, the cornbread batter won’t run over and make a mess in your oven.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote