View Single Post
Old March 17, 2007   #16
melody
Tomatovillian™

The thing about cornbread is that you can make the batter as thick or thin as you like...just add more cornmeal. If you need more batter, add more liquid and then add cornmeal till the consistency looks right.

As far as all of these 'sweet' cornbread recipes.....to each his own, but I never add sugar to cornbread...ever..(that's cake) Try leaving out the sugar, add some onions and brocolli that you've sauteed till limp and some grated cheddar.

My basic cornbread recipe is...heat a bit of oil in your pan till hot, beat one egg, about a cup of milk more or less (never measure) in a bowl with a fork,dump in enough Martha White self rising cornmeal and stir up till it looks right..dump in the pan and bake at 350 till done..(roughly 20 min..give or take)If you like crust, about 5 minutes before it's completely done, remove pan and flip the whole thing over and let the top side bake on the bottom for about 5 minutes.

Add anything you like to the batter...I make my cornbread for stuffing all seasoned...add the onions and sage at the batter stage and you've eliminated a step.

Have fun with cornbread...it's very forgiving and you can add anything you can think up to it....another great add to the onions and cheeze is a cup of browned sausage and chili seasoning....
melody is offline   Reply With Quote