View Single Post
Old October 8, 2017   #147
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

For tomatoes I use the Dewitt sunbelt and the Pro5 (expensive but I prefer this to the sunbelt in rows where I walk). It is woven, but retains moisture well. I love how I didn't need to water the tomatoes as frequently in my country garden, even in 100 degree heat with little rain. I was able to stretch my trips this summer.

I have a question/concern about using this same fabric for garlic. Has anyone used it for garlic in a wet spring? I have good drainage but holding the moisture in is still worrisome to me. I'm going to have a huge weed problem in my bed with out of control windmill grass. It went crazy this sunny dry summer. The year prior I used pine bark mulch with hardly any weeds. Last season I had a thick layer of straw held down by out of season folding tomato cages. The windmill grass and a whole host of other weeds came right through the straw mulch.

I don't have access to fresh manure. I'm even ruling out torn newspaper as holding the bed too wet. Looking for some experiences with different fabrics.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote