View Single Post
Old April 15, 2015   #86
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
This is a funny thread I have to reply. A couple years ago I was day dreaming to sell tomatoes to local restaurant because I grew about 100 plants that year and no one in the family eats tomato. Only high-end restaurant will pay premium for heirloom tomatoes. I took deep breath and started to call several local famous and popular restaurants (no chain stores). Most managers were very nice (Purchasing managers, not chefs to buy tomatoes) and they all told me "We have special suppliers and we have contracts with them that we can't buy from others". I talked to five managers. So I didn't sell even one tomato. They went to friends, teachers and food bank. It is also very difficult or expensive to get a farmer market booth nowadays.
I had a guy come by the house with a pickup and a freezer in the back.
He was selling frozen meat like steaks and such.
He told me he sold meat to all of the 4 and 5 star restaurants in Austin.
Really I asked him, 'Tell me who you sell to and if they buy frozen meat out of the back of a pickup truck.
Please give me your name and company name so I can call them and confirm it.
He wouldn't say.

I told him I didn't want any frozen meat, he presisted I go look, I told him I didn't have time, he continued to bother me and got mad and started yelling at me.
That's when I told the guy to get the devil off my porch and get off my property.
He walked off calling me the F word and other names.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote