View Single Post
Old March 29, 2017   #1
Ice Cream
Tomatovillian™

Default Leggy Plants- What did I do wrong?

This was my first year of growing tomatoes from seed (I wanted heirlooms that I couldn't buy as plants), and I am trying to figure out why they are so leggy. It seems I did everything "right" from what I have read on the internet, so I am having a hard time trying to pinpoint what I did wrong.
  • I used the soil block technique and planted them in 2 inch blocks using Fort Vee from Vermont Compost Company.
  • I planted a total of 36, and had to replant 4 due to not germinating. The varieties were all heirlooms: Louisiana Red, Louisiana Dixie, Jeff Davis, General Lee, and Rebel Yell.
  • Once they germinated I had them under a single glow light (2ft T5 24watt fluorescent grow light). I kept the grow light 2-3" from the plants and the light was turned on for 12-14 hours a day. The room had a temperature of approximately 65* at night and 75* during the day.
  • I repotted into 4 inch Jiffy pots one month after planting (used Fort Vee in the pots).
  • Now, two months after planting I have one foot tall plants with skinny stems and 2-3 branches. I have had to stake them up to keep them from falling over.
Any ideas on why my plants are so leggy? Any ideas on what I did wrong?

I'm going to plant them this week weather permitting with just the top 3" above ground.
Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote