View Single Post
Old June 23, 2011   #10
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Kath, that's a good idea, I do have some large tarps around here for camping. If it looks like rain again I think I'll start covering some areas.

Carol, that is good news to my ears. Last year the drought was bad around here, but I still had plenty to can for the family for the year just because of the sheer amount of plants I had last year, 400. Maybe the fact that I have 1000 plants this year,( 3 each of most of the varieties I started myself), will be a saving grace for me. 4-6 fruits off of each plant would be enough to supply the family for the year and give me a small seed crop. Those that I could not find commercial seed sources for this year were the first ones I planted out, so while they look a little water logged and droopy right now they should at least produce a crop of seeds for future years. Planting for a seed crop was new to me this year, and while I had great dreams, I don't mind postponing the dream another year, as long as I get enough of a crop to help feed the family. We use tons of tomato products to feed our large family throughout the year and the idea of not having any, and having to buy tomato products from the store makes me cringe.