View Single Post
Old October 31, 2016   #35
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Despite the horrendous drought we are experiencing my beans are doing okay for fall plants. They are much smaller than in the spring but they are loaded with blooms and some very small beans. The whiteflies are everywhere this fall but so far the beans are withstanding their heavy presence without wilting. I did mulch mine this fall because of the drought and think it has made a real difference. I'm pretty sure that without the mulch they would be in much worse shape.

Bill
My beans definitely look better this fall than last fall. I don’t see any disease on them. I’ve picked most of them once but they currently aren’t all that productive. Hopefully they will improve over the next couple of weeks. Of the pole snap beans Rattlesnake and Grandma Robert’s Purple pole are doing the best. Alabama #1, Barnes Mountain and Fortex Cross are not looking like they will produce a lot of beans. Kentucky Wonder Pole is taking it’s time but it may come through with descent production.
The 3 varieties of bush snaps (Espada, Crockett and Jade) that I have planted all look like they will do a fair job this season.
I have 5 poles of Alabama Black Running Lima Beans and the plants are huge and they have a lot of beans on them. Hopefully the pods will fill out. I also have a couple of short rows of Jackson Wonder Lima Bush Beans that
have a lot of beans that remain to fill out.
When it is time for the 2017 Spring crop I hope to have a much better idea what to grow, so I can concentrate on them. I think Rattlesnake and Grandma Roberts Purple Pole will definitely make the cut.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote