View Single Post
Old April 30, 2018   #40
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks MissS, I enjoy writing the progress and sharing, I feel that when I write and post pics, I get so much feedback and its helpful.

@JR, I had some garlic survive on the lower area of the yard, nothing to write home about, but I'll try again in the fall.
I hear you on the compost, I just keep nagging away. I dont like getting any yard waste from anywhere but my own yard and on occasion my neighbors. Just made another decent haul at Starbucks but thts even a hassle.
I can get Horse Partially composted manure at the recycle center, Ill post a couple pics in my next update.
I have thought about trying redworms but to be hones I am much happier when I get soldier flies in the compost heap, them boys work! Plus I was worried about redworms not overwintering, curious that yours survive, its great to know there's another option.

Seed starting, forgot all about that. I will still purchase my potting soil once a year.
Frogs, thats another sad note. I have 2 ponds and a few frogs always end up in the pond and never make it, I dont know why they dont move on and chance overwintering in a pond that has no muck.

@ddsack, yeah I was hoping to get a picture of him with his tongue hanging out lol.

@Nan, no boundless energy here, I really hurt the next day, plus I pace myself during the day. I will do a bit of work and try to stay out of the sun, I can take a little heat but I absolutely can not be out in the sun, I get fatigued, short tempered and headaches some times, hell I squint at night, no I'm not allergic to garlic lol.

@Hensaplenty they are awesome creatures and its sad that they are an easy target to be scooped up and taken home as a pet. I have caught them in the past taken them home to show the kids (when little) then later that day take them back to where I found them.
The ones in the yard have been rescued from uncaring folks that captured them and a few that lost their home due to total devastation (construction)
There should be a law that when a wooded area is decimated that a sweep is done by professionals (Volunteers) to relocate as many helpless animals. So many nesting creatures are destroyed. I'm not a tree hugger but have grown to respect all wildlife, mostly since my daughter has been rehabbing wildlife.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote