View Single Post
Old May 15, 2017   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'll look for picks. Google 'bamboo trellis for tomatoes', google image, hundreds of pics
and some not so great pics. Youtube has good videos, very clear, for binding/thrashing
bamboo. My knots are good, and good enough, for a trellis. I don't need to reference
my Ashley book of knots. I'm only going up 6.5 ft. 6-8 inches in the ground.

The strength is in the teepee formation. Then horizontal overlapping bamboo to connect
it all together. I could do chin-ups on those.

Yes, the tips going into the ground tend to decompose first. Rarely in one year for me.
I don't leave mine up year round but some years i have tossed them down on top of the
covered beds all winter. Less lazy years i put them in the garden shed.

Or google 'bamboo scaffolding' and many pics of bamboo covering buildings.

I have no intention to convince anyone to use this method. When i started gardening
years ago, we had no internet, just periodicals, OrganicGardening mag, and it was
recommended for high wind open field gardens. Lightweight and extremely strong for
its size.

And yes, we have made bamboo fly-rods, skin-on-frame kayaks, a dozen guitar bodies
hanging down in my seed starting project room....

Finding a free resource since i see often an uneducated neighbors yard gone wild...
my parent neighbor put some in and it took all the neighbors years to eradicate. What
a mess. A co-worker bought a big piece of property with overgrown bamboo and has
a zoo come and collect for the Pandas. No money involved.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote