View Single Post
Old June 16, 2015   #307
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying to get that Opalka cross again this year that I failed on last year but my recipient NBD plant was looking so bad I put it out of my misery this evening. I have other other dwarfs I could try it on.

crmauch is working on my Dwf Stone x San Marzano cross this summer, hope he will get some good pastes out of it.

Yup, the F1 is simply a necessary vehicle to get to the F2! I often dont even take pix or notes on F1s unless there is something really unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Well, Chris - I am doing some really wide, fun crosses since I have all of the released dwarfs going. I think half a dozen seem to have taken, but this incredible heat and humidity has put my crossing efforts on hold for a bit. Wildest one so far - Summertime Green (1 lb fruit, green when ripe dwarf ) X Mexico Midget (red pea sized). I am also using Speckled Roman in some crosses to bring pastes into the dwarf line - and stripes as well. And maybe potato leaf! I do have a few dwarfs X Sun Gold that seem to have taken.

Right now I am mostly watching with interest a few F1s from last year's dwarf X indet. crosses - fruit set excellent, plant vigor amazing...but of course the results will be pretty predictable and boring with the F1. then the fun begins!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote