View Single Post
Old March 24, 2013   #41
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Robbie,
There are 10's of thousands of bacteria, fungi, and other microbiology in every square foot of soil. Most are beneficial, a few are not. But they vary widely in the degree to which they are beneficial.

When you inoculate you are simply making sure the best of the best (that we know of) get an advantage first. This helps insure that the few bad guys have a disadvantage in their quest for domination. It is not 100%, but it does help. Theoretically, in a perfect world, in perfect soil, you wouldn't have to inoculate at all.

As far as aquarium water goes, I use it too. I think it is a good use for the water I have to change anyway. But I doubt it is actually all that significant a difference. Sure there are a few trace nutrients in very trace amounts. However, I seriously doubt it is really all that important. The soil is the biggie.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote