Thread: North Star
View Single Post
Old April 6, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
seeking any info on this variety...I got it from Alaska
Earl, I've Googled, I've checked Ventmarin and Tomodori and then started looking in some of my past Yearbooks with no results so far.

Where did you get it from in Alaska and what was the info written on the seed pack and if nothing can you not ask the person who sent you the seeds for more info?

Two suggestions.

John Holm was an amateur tomato breeder who lived in Fairbanks, Alaska and best I can determine he bred Polar Star, so maybe North Star was also one of his but if so I can't find out anything about it to date. I Googled his name to find that he died in 2005 at age 78.

My second suggestion is to ask someone who is an SSE member and is plugged into the online, which I'm not, b'c that person can then do a search for any tomato variety that's ever been listed in the YEarbooks back to probably 1975 when it first started.

Starting in 1985 the tomatoes are not listed by color, rather, by state and within state alphabetically by sse code so it's a real bear for me to do that which is why I suggest you ask someone else.

Carol Knwpp and I were discussing the variety Bobbie vs Boobie and I know she's an online person b/c she pulled up some info but I know she's also very busy at this time of the year as she just posted and I'm sure you don't need the info before sowing the seeds, or I would assume so.

And perhaps someone will come along and has found some info about it. I get my hopes up when I see a link to North Star but there's a well known pepper of the same name and that's what it turns out to be when I open the link.