View Single Post
Old January 10, 2017   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Its very odd and possibly a misprint. I stopped in another Menards scoping out deals (it isn't really considering the large bags are actually cheaper for large scale growing). There I bought a bag of Alaska All Purpose reduced to 94cents from $6.98. It's formulation is 6-1-1. I see online stores sell a version that is 6-4-6 with basically the same ingredients in the same order.

I used to buy Fox Farm but its very costly now. I didn't have any troubles with rot, but I wasn't using the cold treatment at that time. Hopefully the house won't get under 50 at night this year!

I've fallen into the too much N situation when I used Espoma Vegetable instead of Tomatoes formulation. They had lots of green for a long time. I was wondering if I'd ever get fruit but it did catch up and produce well. Peppers didn't care - they exploded when it warmed up.

As Mark pointed out, the bags are missing a critical component for plant metabolism, particularly tomatoes. I wonder if its' too slow release for something fast growing like container lettuce.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; January 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote