View Single Post
Old October 15, 2012   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I was looking for confirmation of the term and found several references of Sarma (stuffed grape or cabbage leaves, Romanian sarmale) recipes stating a linkage between the two terms. Sarma is a savory dish of grape, cabbage or chard leaves rolled around a filling usually based on minced meat, or a sweet dish of filo dough wrapped around a filling often of various kinds of chopped nuts. It is found in the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire from the Middle East to the Balkans and Central Europe.

For example from Wikipedia I found this: "Another kind of sarma are those rolled in (grape) vine leaves". and this too, "vine leaf (fresh or pickled)" with a link to Vitis.

I also found a similar linkage in certain dolma recipes that referred to grape leaves as vine leaves.

So it seems that vine leaves = grape leaves and is used in pickled recipes.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote