View Single Post
Old June 10, 2020   #30
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post

A couple things I noticed last year, leaving some scapes on, was the huge bulbils on the tended garlic. A dozen dime size, some even penny, instead of fifty or sixty BB or quarter inch bulbils in the walking stuff/closely spaced stuff. Also, quite a bit of variability in the scape formation. Seemed like those were two of the classification/grouping keys. So I kind of wrote that off, worrying about how to group them.
Low numbers of large bulbils is typical of Rocambole garlic also from what I understand. Apparently Rocamboles can loop anywhere from a single loop to a triple loop under good conditions. From what I have heard/read about imports of garlic into Oz, the groups may not be clear cut either, with some attributes changing on some cultivars and placing them into a different group under different climatic conditions. Where they fit best under your conditions is important for assessing growth parameters, if you need to remove scapes (some groups give markedly smaller bulbs with scape on, others are not affected) etc.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote