View Single Post
Old June 22, 2009   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default what's in bloom?

I stopped for a moment while I was working in my small garden and realized I have dozens of different plants in bloom (including some vegs). This garden is a few years old, and I'm always getting new plants and bulbs at plant exchanges, and planting seeds, so by the time something bursts into bloom it's often a surprise.

The most exciting ones to me this season are the native penstemons, the purple/magenta gladiolus, all the pink/magenta yarrows, and the self-seeded Clarkia purpureas, which reseeded themselves between a couple of peacock kales.

Magentas
Gladiolus, Lychnis coronaria, yarrow, Clarkia purpurea, dianthus

purples, pinks
Clarkia amoena (self-seeded, the stars of the garden this month), hollyhock (light pink), deep purple penstemon shrub, echinaceas (just starting), mini rose with pink-edged white flower, comfrey, 2 types of lavender

blues
3 species of gilia, borage

Whites
yarrow, hollyhock (yellow tinge), soap plant (flowers open after 6 pm), strawberries, blackberries, celery, 2 species of native buckwheats, scented geranium

yellows
yarrow, grindelia, kales, tomatoes, viola (yellow and purple, has been blooming nonstop since Feb.), aloes, hens & chicks (wtih orange)

oranges and red-oranges
nasturtium, 2 types of calendula, native penstemon (coral orange), calif. poppies, alstroemerias
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote