View Single Post
Old August 4, 2017   #7
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I lifted yesterday most or the Arnos and some other spring planted varieties. All of them had smaller than normal bulbs, but the Arnos with scapes were the smallest. It looks like growing the real scape caused the artichoke types to produce smaller bulbs.

I may not grow Arno next season, if it in our climate produces scape and smaller bulb than real hardnecks.

I lifted spring planted Thermidromes week ago and those were a bit bigger than Arnos. From these spring planted softneck varieties Messidor produced largest bulb and Mersley Wight being the second and more uniform in size, so I would recommend these two for spring planting with artificial vernalization in the refrigerator.

I hung the so far harvested crop in the woodshed to dry. Top row from left to right are Mersley Wight, Arno, Messidor, Lautrec Wight and Casablanca (only fall planted from these) . Lower row from left is spring planted Thermidrome, Messidrome and Germidour, which I planted also during fall, but those are still in ground.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garlic drying 20170804.jpg (555.5 KB, 117 views)