View Single Post
Old March 9, 2018   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
If you choose to use sevin use it in the evening when the bees have gone way from the squash plants already. if you use it in the morning there will be bees on the flowers... being killed.
Thank you, carolyn, I forgot to post that part. Sevin kills everything, so use it at dusk and I keep it off any flowers/buds as well. It's serious stuff that needs to be used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla- View Post
I haven't found anything to stop their wrath. This year I'm going to try and wait them out and plant in late summer to try and avoid them. At least in Texas they seem to come in waves of destruction and then leave for good once they've taken my squash dreams with them.
Up here, mine don't stop. I don't even know where they come from, no one gardens for a fair bit around me, but come they do and the rodeo is on. I start out picking them off and the eggs, too, destroying them. If they overwhelm my efforts then I go ballistic as I am not going to lose all my crop.

Maybe there are squash bug movies, showing humans as a Godzilla creature to the squash bugs as they sit around eating up the garden?!

I don't LIKE using major stuff and try to use the most lower effect things first, i.e.picking bugs and eggs ( with a hand held vacuum1 works great), or a tobacco juice spray, but sometimes I have a choice - lose it or use the rough stuff.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote