View Single Post
Old November 5, 2018   #1
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Default Blackberry cuttings or seed

I recent bought some land and I am looking for an economical way to "fence" in about 1800 linear feet of property along the road to keep humans from easily trespassing and thought that something thick and thorny would do the trick at a fraction of the cost of fencing.

Short story:
I have some nice thorny 'native' cane blackberry plants on the back-side of my current property that seems to really flourish in this area. Can I propagate this from cuttings? If yes, when is the best time to do this (Zone 5a), where do I take the cuttings from, and what is the best method for rooting? If no, do I need to wait for next year's late summer berry crop and get the seed? Disadvantages /Advantages to use this as 'fencing'? I do know one disadvantage would be cutting it back each year because it likes to spread.

Long story (optional to read if you're bored):
The road border on both sides (property is split by a small barely traveled road in the middle) has ditches and is tree-lined enough to keep even small ATVs off the property, but not pedestrians. There was a previous problem with dumping on the property because although the past owners had swing gates at the driveways, they never locked them.
I've owned the property for only 3 days now and put locks on the gates, posted signs and cleaned up the general litter but I still need to get the tires, bed frames and a couple of mattresses picked up. Locking the gates should at least deter dumping of large items but the property has a nice pavilion on it that the area kids/adults seem to like to use as their own private party spot. This past weekend we picked up about 18-20 large trash bags worth of debris (cans, bottles, plastic, etc) that was scattered about within 200' of the pavilion in all directions.

While I don't want to come off as the nasty new guy in the neighborhood, I don't want the liability or the trash on my land.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote