View Single Post
Old November 7, 2018   #15
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Do you have an NRD nearby that sells conservation trees and bushes in large quantities for 50 cents or a dollar each (usually sold in packages of 25 or 50)? In my district you can even get assistance with planting if you purchase a large number of seedlings.
You can search Nebraska NRD Conservation Trees for examples. Iowa has a similar offer that you can also search. The US Forest Service may have a nursery, and the power company may offer a tree program too.

A neat border or wind brake will enhance the value of the property in the long term vs wild brambles. You can layer plants to discourage entry and have a nice pleasing-to-the-eye arrangement, but it will take a few years for them to reach a size for a barrier purpose (though likely faster than berries from seed!).

I've planted blackberries in a hedge and it's a real pain to maintain and keep them healthy.

On the small acreage that I have, my "fence" is a row of t-posts with a wire with barbs running the length. Of course anyone that wants in can clip it, but since its construction in the 70's its been effective in defining the boundary between the property and the road.

- Lisa

I also wanted to mention that my neighbor planted a lovely flower and shrub garden with rocks and hard scape in a ravine that was just weeds.
I'm not really looking for any "curb-appeal" with this property right now, I'm looking for "stay-out-and-leave-me-alone" without putting up chain link and razor wire. The property is split by the road going through so it is a lot of road frontage to cover. Cheap, fast and effective is the way I want to go. It is already very tree-lined, perhaps too much. I'd rather have short (6-15 ft) growth than 50-100 ft trees, which most of those will be coming down.
In a few years after I get everything established, I will probably open up 50-100' of frontage with a formal fenced driveway entrance, nicely landscaped, etc.... but while I am not living there and in a construction / start-up phase, I would rather no unwelcome visitors.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote