View Single Post
Old April 25, 2017   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Marek, I have the same article in myfaves.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel...ant-180955911/

Dr.Chatelet was very helpful to me over the years and it started like this

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara%27s_Galapagos

First Amy did not take her daughter to the Galapagos Islands, she went by herself but ultimately named it after her daugter Sara.

I had asked Amy to bring me back seeds of cheesmanni if she could since there was a lot of interest in salt tolerant accessions back then

Cheesmanii, both major and minor are are yellow/gold.

When she came back, I don't know how she got past customs but she sent me actual fruits and they were Red, so I knew I didn't have what I had hoped for and as the tania link indicated I did call Dr.Chatelet and in that link you could see what he said.

Yes the red looked like and talked like a pimp,but wasn't a true one.

The TGRC is a remarkable place as you probably know already.They have lists of what has been found on each of the islands,the gene association list is remarkable.As well as all the species found in South America,I think it's up to 17 now. And they send out seeds to researchers and breeders all over the world, yes, they too have to fill out forms.

All to say that I saved seeds from the red, never proccessed them in any way,it was too late to do that,sowed seed,got close to 100% germination, too many seedlings so I set out just two,and I loved it.A huge chore to harvest those tiny fruits and even more so to get the seeds out of the fruits whichI'd just pop open and let the seeds fall out but the darn thing were also good at floating..

And yes,again, I know all about the application and verification process that one needs to go through, since it was Keith Mueller at his superb website,whom I knew, who did that for many of what he bred.

Carolyn