View Single Post
Old September 18, 2012   #79
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Light Tortilla Soup

from Keep it Skinny

Very good! A keeper for the nutritionals and the great flavor. Sue

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying (I used olive oil and I baked my tortilla strips)
2 large onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 tsp. coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
12 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
Juice of 2 limes
1 package (8 oz.) small corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-in.-thick strips
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-in.-thick strips (I used some meat from a lemon pepper rotissire chicken I bought. Was fantastic)*
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Monterey jack cheese, additional chopped cilantro, and/or sliced green onions for topping
DIRECTIONS
• Heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil in a large pot (at least 5 qts.) over medium heat.
• Add onions and cook until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
• Stir in two-thirds of the garlic, 1 tbsp. salt, cumin, and chile flakes and cook 2 minutes.

• Add broth, tomatoes, and half the lime juice and increase heat to a gentle simmer; cook 20 minutes.

• Meanwhile, pour about 1 in. of vegetable oil into a small frying pan set over medium-high heat.
• When oil is hot but not smoking, add one-third of the tortilla strips and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes.
• With a slotted spoon, transfer strips to a paper towel-lined baking pan.
• Repeat with remaining tortilla strips in two batches.
• Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt. Set aside.

• Puree soup in batches in a blender.
• Return soup to pot and resume simmering.
• In a small bowl, toss chicken with remaining lime juice, garlic, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
• Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes, then add to soup and simmer 5 minutes, until chicken is just cooked through.
• Stir in cilantro.
• Serve hot with tortilla strips and your choice of toppings.
Makes 4.5 qts (serving size: 1 cup).

Source: Cooking Light Nutrtion Per Serving: 142 Calories, 15 g Protein

** Little Tip for Sue. this time of year we run a LOT with our grandsons playing football, and soccer, and they live an hour from us, so we spend a lot of time commuting to see them play, so I buy a rotissire chicken every weeked, and I make a meal with it for us, and/or, I make chicken sandwiches, or chicken salad of some sort, depending on whether I've used it for a meal before hand or not, and always get a pot of soup off it for us. A VERY convenient, easy to use, tasty and economical bang for the buck. Sue (The notes signed “Sue” are from the person who posted this recipe on a newsletter I get ~ Zana)
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote