View Single Post
Old October 14, 2006   #27
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default A Cla experiment. Sungella/Sungold spaghetti sauce!

The reason for using sungolds is because they were some that were picked a bit early, not completly ripe when picked, and although they were ripe this night, they were getting too soft, it was time to use them along with the sungellas that were sitting out. So here is what I did with them. (normally, you would not use sungolds, they create many small skins that take more time to remove, unless you want the fiber in your sauce :wink:

Roughly 2 cups sungellas (about 1-1/4 peeled and stuffed in a cup)
About a 1/2 cup sungolds
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp or less dash of cajun seasoning (if you want to get a slight bit of spice)
1 flat tsp sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
less than a quarter lbs suasage.

By the way, this is a one man meal. You can always multiply this recipe by 2 or 10

So anyway here is what we have:

and the sungolds I used (I just cut stem ends off tomatoes):

After cutting the ends of, and maybe cutting the larger tomatoes into 4's, you can cook them down a bit; 5 or 10 few minutes simmering boil, which causes the skins to fall off the tomatoes, then you can pretty much just pick them out of the pot. (took me a good 5-10 minutes per the sungolds).

At this point I used a small skillet to saute some smoked sausage. after cooking it very well and the skillet was pretty hot, I poured the sauce from the pot over the sausage, into the skillet. added the garlic, sugar oregano, oh yeah also a dash of monosodium glutamate (accent).

cooked it hot for a few minutes and it came out nice and thick, and very good. Best sgetti sauce I have ever had. First time I believe for having a sauce made of fresh picked tomatoes. The combination of seasonings/flavor is unreal. Must have a little spice, I'd add some blackpepper if not for red pepper (cajun seasoning).

CLa is offline   Reply With Quote