View Single Post
Old March 9, 2018   #3134
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
What do the yellow sticky cards do? I saw them at Ace but thought they were for houseflies. I just sprayed all the plants again and noticed something that looked like spider web around the base of the stem on a bell pepper that wasn't there earlier today. I'm assuming that's from mites. Also, under a watermelon seedling leaf there was a tiny black caterpillar with red/orange on it. I picked it off and lost it before I could take a pic. I'm going to have to look up what that was. I was doing so well being big free until today hahah. I wish I was on this forum when I decided to start gardening in December. Everything is potted in miracle gro natures care organic and natural potting mix. I blame all my problems on it. I've had major drainage issues, fungus gnats galore, and now probably mites. My other choice was standard MG mix, so it's all I had at the time. A few weeks back I dug everything up, laid out the mix to dry on giant garbage bags, amended it with tons of perlite and put the plants back in. It was a lot of work and that stuff isn't cheap. Next year I'll know better and either mix my own or get something like pro-mix. I'm just thankful my plants are growing well.
Most of us here hate Miracle-Gro anything and a lot of us have had issues with fungus gnats from it. Fungus gnat problems are easily cured by using a few granules of g n a t r o l which I buy through Amazon or Ebay. It's granules of BT and it kills fungus gnat larvae so they never establish. I strongly recommend finding a buying source for Pro mix BX. Absolutely excellent first-rate and I've never ever had a problem with it after years and years of use. You can find out who sells it from the company's website. If you have to get something from Home Depot then get the Lambert's brand, is also pretty good it just doesn't have as much perlite as I like.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote