View Single Post
Old August 16, 2011   #63
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Mark,

The harvest is HUGE. As I've said before, I dislike reviewing because I don't want to discourage anyone from trying a variety and I don't really like very many. I also have shared my absolute faves and found that others have found them to be spitters. I take only the briefest notes about tasting results, sometimes just an up or down arrow, and trying this many varieties results in my quickly forgetting most of what was tasted the day before.

That being said, Goldman's Italian American (tasted twice) was weirdly sweet and not in a good way for me. DH agreed. Haven't used it in cooking as yet.

Emma Pink was mealy at first; the next one was less so and had a nice taste- maybe a bit too acidic for me at the end. DH said it was just ok. This one may improve with time.

Blue Ridge Mountain was ok but a week behind many others planted at the same time. Two tomatoes so far, both over a pound. My notes say, "Not worth the wait."

Kalman's Hungarian Pink- really niced sized fruits, 4 so far- DH likes this one- I can't remember it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this one.

Kath
Kath,

This is definitely helpful. I usually look at opinions of several people to see if there a tomatoes that stand out as really good or not so good. In any event, I will try a tomato if most people say it isn't very good if it has enough appeal to me.

I just tasted my first Blue Ridge Mountain the past couple of days. I thought it was pretty good, but I'll have to see how the rest of them taste. With the crazy weather we have had this year, it is really difficult to determine what impact the weather has had on the taste of the tomatoes.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote