Thread: Harvest
View Single Post
Old July 18, 2006   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Harvest

If I could treat this like the gardenweb harvest forum, I would be glad Can we talk about other than tomato harvests? I posted this earlier at that site: I have put up 24 pints of stewed tomatoes with all-from-the-garden ingredients. I put up 8 pints of Annie's salsa, minus one that boiled over and my youngest will eat up tonight. 7 quarts of green beans (must admit that Jap beetles got mine and these were given to me by a friend who got them from an Amish market), 2 quart bags of sauce (frozen, due to maters coming ripe and having no time to process), 3 quart bags of individual servings of frozen onions (I have a LOT more to do, I had to cure my onions in this awful heat and by the time I realized it was just too hot out, they had been partially COOKED already), 5 pint sized freezer bags of shredded zucchini for bread. 24 half pints of cuke relish. If I hear back from the harvest forum gurus, I plan on carmelizing a bunch more of my onions for soup. I didn't blanch, I figured the sun did that for me. It is incredibly hot here in my neck of Kentucky, not safe to mow during the day. The heat index has been 100+. I couldn't believe that my onions were almost too hot to handle when I went to grab some for the salsa today. I peeled away the outer layers and they still were warm to the touch. Anyways, I did manage to save about 30 varieties of tomato seed (my DH said the house will SMELL in a few days) and since I've become a pepper fanatic, some of those as well. Stink bugs seem to be my biggest problem about now. I hate those darn things!! They make a perfectly great tomato worthless. Lori
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote