Thread: I have a bat!
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2018   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Bats hibernate for the winter in caves, rock piles and other places like that. It should leave your house when the weather turns cold and then you should cover that hole so that it does not roost in there next year. They do like to return to the same location each summer.

A bat box could be a fun idea. We had one of those at our cabin in Western PA and I could look up inside with a flashlight and see lots of little faces. I used to set up a lawn chair at dusk and sit nearby and watch then. As it started to become dusk I could hear scratching around and sometimes little squeaks and then they would just seem to let go one at a time and fall straight down out of the house before taking flight. It was really fun to watch. We had about 20 of them in that one house.

HOWEVER don't make the same mistake that I did and attach it to your house. Bats pee and poop a LOT during the time that they are in their house and ours was right above a deck so I had to put a catch pan under it and that stuff was stinky. The pee also ran down the side of the cabin and had to be cleaned off. We re-located the bat house after that first year.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote