View Single Post
Old December 30, 2010   #16
camochef
Tomatovillian™

While I didn't start my own tomato patch till the late 50's; that's the 1950's, I did a lot in my step-dad's gardens earlier. Also helped in his sisters gardens around the corner. So probably started around 1953-54. We grew mostly large beefsteak shaped red tomatoes. As did almost all the neighbors.
I remember my dad (stepdad), saving seeds from the largest and best tasting tomatoes to be used for next years gardens. What I don't remember is anyone bagging blossoms. No one seemed the least bit concerned with cross pollination. I'm sure this was the attitude not only in our neighborhoods but throughout the country.
I'd be willing to bet that those along the Brandywine river in Pennsylvania, or over in Lancaster, Pa., or even Lancaster, Ohio for that matter weren't bagging blossoms either. Now, granted there weren't the varieties being grown back then like there are today, but still, I'm inclined to believe that there was quite a hodgepodge of crossed varieties.
Back in the days of early tomato growing, there were no hybrids, everything was heirlooms or open pollinated. It wasn't till after WW2 that hybrids came on the scene. People were leaving the family farms and moving into urban areas and seed companies prospered selling them seeds for small family plots instead of having them handed down from generation to generation as the had in the past. It was much easier to plunk down a few cents in the local hardware store and get seeds to plant your garden.
I don't recall seeing or hearing about people bagging blossoms until...the late 1990's maybe even the beginning of this century. I know I didn't nor did anyone I knew. Most people ordered seeds from Burpees and a few other companies back in the later part of the last century, as we didn't have all these seed companies and home business dealers that we have today.
Therefore we have Brandywine, Pink Brandywine, Brandywine Sudduths, Brandywine Glicks, Brandywine Stumps, Cowlick's Brandywine, (which I take responsibilty for creating and adding to the confusion), Yellow Brandywine, Red Brandywine, Black Brandywine, True Black Brandywine.
Then add in the different strains, Landis, Platfoot, crosses like Brandywine OTV, Dora, Liz Birt, Gary O'Sena, Bear Creek, and varients like the recently discovered Cowlick's Brandywine R.L. and add Ed's Millenium, JD's Special C-Tex, Earl's Faux, Stump of the world and who knows how many others and it's no wonder people get so confused when the word Brandywine surfaces.
Unless someone invents a time machine, I don't think we'll ever get the answers, but we can grow the different "Brandywines" and enjoy every bite or slice, however you prefer. I prefer mine with a little Zatarains Creole Seasoning.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote