View Single Post
Old July 3, 2016   #32
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Cold Set and Siletz parthenocarpic tomatoes. Cold Set had lots of viable seeds in them from the get go, but Siletz had a lot of seedless fruit - or just wisps of seeds as Carolyn described - but then there were a few fruit that had not huge numbers but enough normal mature seeds to propagate the variety. I would estimate I got as many seeds from the entire plant's worth of fruit, as you might ordinarily get from a single tomato.

Very interested to hear the cukes should follow that same pattern. Because growing in a closed greenhouse (or indoors when I dare!) there's no point in growing anything not parthenocarpic. The fact they are not as plentiful means they will likely always be more expensive, and a good enough reason to save your own seeds even if by stabilizing from the F1.

The gynoecious trait is something else, afaik. That is all female flowers. I seem to recall one or the other of Passandra or Carmen had some male flowers as well, they weren't needed for pollination though.

I've never done any crosses with parthenocarpic fruit, no idea if these traits are dominant or recessive? Nor the gynoecious trait in cucumbers either.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote