View Single Post
Old March 8, 2018   #22
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I replaced it with Gypsy when it was no longer available and really like it. It matures quickly and makes a large tight head with bountiful side shoots while the plant doesn't get quite as large as Packman. It also seems to be more reliable year after year so I guess I'll stick with it for my main crop and still try a few that I haven't grown yet just in case one of them might perform better.
Side shoot production is important to me because it extends the harvest. It's nice to have a lot of fresh shoots for salads, etc after the head is gone. Both last spring and last fall I tried Blue Wind with the Packman as Blue Wind was touted by supplier Seeds 'n' Such as having more side shoots than Packman. That called for setting up The Great Sideshoot Race, where all sideshoots I harvested from both were weighed and totaled.

From May 25 to June 24, Blue Wind did outproduce Packman 38.6 oz to 32.7 oz. but in the fall the Packman did better than Blue Wind (can't find the weight totals!). Maybe it was the difference in temps, light levels, whatever. I still like the Packman better than Blue Wind but I'm still searching for an open pollinated to go with Packman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I plan on setting out my first bed of tomatoes this Saturday and I already have a bed ready to go, so all I need to do is set up my support system.
That's great! You must be on the coast? My 'maters will be started March 19, aiming for an April 26 transplant date. Any earlier than that and I'm courtin' trouble!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote