View Single Post
Old December 20, 2014   #38
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I charge $5 per pint basket, but I encourage customers to really load them up. I charge $4 per lb for non-basket purchases, so I make sure the basket buyers get more than 1 lb in their baskets to make it a good deal. I even show them how to load the baskets to maximize their tomatoes (small tomatoes on bottom and bigger on top). I'd rather sell out and have pleased customers than go home with unsold tomatoes because I was a chincy.

I would also like to comment on converting from hybrids to all OP/heirlooms regarding the acceptability to customers. I have a market population similar to yours. I'm close to the University of NM, but in an older neighborhood so I get all ranges of customers. Some will never accept anything but round, red tomatoes. I've tried to sell other varieties to these types but most are a bit arrogant about what a tomato should be so I just let them stay in their rut.
I am very proud of what I sell so even though I am not a salesman by nature I have no problem talking up my tomatoes. I find it amazing how you can manipulate people to some degree if you are authoritative and know what you're talking about. So, in my view, to get people to convert to amazing tomatoes it helps to "guide" them that way and offer samples. I have also discovered that the better groomed I am at the market the more people are comfortable with me. I used to come straight from the tomato patch from picking and I would be a bit...how you say...sweaty. I now make sure I have time to clean up so the peeps are more comfortable. My daughter-in-laws helps me sell sometimes and I find it amazing how a good looking girl attracts customers too!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote