View Single Post
Old February 13, 2006   #1
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Default New Book (includes section on toms)

New Book-just came out:

INCREDIBLE VEGETABLES FROM SELF-WATERING CONTAINERS by
Edward C. Smith (also wrote VEGETABE GARDENERS BIBLE).

“Using Ed’s Amazing POTS System- P for Portable, O for Organic, T for Trouble-Free, and S for Secret Soil Formula.”

Pretty good though very basic. Some nice color photos. Enjoyed reading it but I collect gardening books (good or bad) so easy to please. Experienced container growers may not get a whole lot out of it. Diseases of tomatoes, for example, were not really covered at all in the tomato section. Nothing mentioned at all to prepare the beginner for the inevitable foliar disease that many experience. He does encourage composting which I liked. Also has his own (secret) mix and fertilizer.

All the containers he uses came from Gardeners Supply Company—surprised he did not show any Earthboxes (which work so great) though he did mention that he tested them in Acknowledgements page. The containers from GSC are expensive.

Basically uses only online-bought self-watering containers. Doesn’t show how to make one out of Rubbermaid containers or anything. I found that disappointing. He does use a device from GSC that turns a pot you have (with no holes in bottom) into self-watering container. (Costs 12.95 plus shipping.)

Paper-back version (recommended) is about $15. That is pretty inexpensive so think it is worth it.

MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote