View Single Post
Old October 10, 2017   #148
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Sari, YES! It's the best.

Lisa, I can't speak for heavier soils (I have loamy sand), but I don't know that it is a huge problem.
Consider that the fabric is not held down tight all the way down the edge like buried plastic film would be. I had my pins every 10' feet or so along the edges. So, air/wind could billow in and out of the bed surface and out through the holes where the garlic grows out of.
Also, you could just not plant the cloves as deep if you are worried, but if your soil drains, I would think you'd be alright.

So I have 200 lbs of cloves to plant this year, and was trying to figure out an economical way to pre-soak them to kill surface pathogens. Last year I did grain alcohol, but I only had 30 lbs to do.
It would not be cheap doing alcohol for this year. My seed supplier uses and recommended 35% hydrogen peroxide cut 3:1 with water. Soak 20 minutes before planting.
So I found some online and will give that a shot. I bought enough to cover this year and more. 4 one-gallon jug case was around $130, shipping included.

Last edited by PureHarvest; October 10, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote