View Single Post
Old October 11, 2017   #149
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I went back and re-read this thread. So much info!

I thought that was you, PH, that had a problem with newly purchased garlic. In my memory it was an insect problem, but I see that is instead Bower that got invaded. Yipes, you got a bad deal there. Luckily you recognized the problem and have the ability to move on. Is the hydrogen peroxide for this or a general treatment?

I've also been reading about aster yellows in the 2012 time frame in the midwest. Darn leafhoppers! Many garlic farms were totally wiped out. Terrible.

I've grown garlic for the past two years in 10 X 4 raised beds in sandy soil amended with Black Cow. I have a picture in a recent post in this Allium forum; some garlic is repsrouting. The first year I mulched with pine bark mulch left over from the tomatoes that previously grew there and the garlic was robust. Last year I mulched with straw. The summer was drought like and scorching hot. I couldn't keep up with the watering and weeds took over. The garlic furthest from the sprinkler was barely okay, the best watered was just medium sized. I hope the garlic doesn't remember that in case next summer the floods come! I can remove the dewitt if it rains endlessly.

Svalli your bed is huge and the soil looks rich. I put down a tarp too. It's held down by lumber and it still tries to blow away at the corners. Obviously worth the effort you put into the preparation. Nice!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote