View Single Post
Old August 3, 2010   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

First of all, Carolyn, I have named it Maiden's Gold. Maidens Kiss is already a known variety.

This was my grandfather's tomato. As a little boy, I remember him showing me those huge golden, globe shaped tomatoes. He grew it every year until his death. The seeds remained in my branch of the family after that. After I joined the Air Force in 1963, I had seeds sent to me at my first permanent assignment in Washington State. Soon, I was the only one with any seeds left. Nobody in the family thought about "heirloom" or anything. It was just a good tomato. I grew it whenever I could or when the whim hit me. Eventually, I grew it in Washington, California, New Hampshire, Virginia, New Mexico, Texas, Tennessee, and Florida. Some of the breaks were as much as 5 years.

So this brings me to 1989 and a second floor east facing, screened in patio of an apartment in Melbourne, FL. I only got 41 seeds from that one plant. And those were the ones in the envelope. They had been saved on a paper towel straight from the tomato.

When I launched my attempt to germinate the 21 year old seeds, I must admit that my expectations were not good. And my supply of 41 seeds was greatly limited. The internet sites led me to believe that special things had to be done to get germination from seeds this old. I didn't have the experience and knowledge that experts like Craig and Carolyn have. And I didn't really understand some of the things they did to get old seeds to come alive. But, I had to try.

I think the trick that triggered germination last year was that I soaked the seeds in some duluted Miracle Grow Organic Fertilizer for about 20 hours. After that second planting, I was down to where only 26 seeds remained between success and extinction.

When that little seed popped thru the surface of that mix, it was like the birth of a child. My DW kept saying that I was obsessed with that plant surviving. In hind sight, she was probably right. It was raised in an 18 gallon pot full of Miracle Grow Professional Potting Mix and some other things I do normally to my containerized plants.

So, there you are.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote