View Single Post
Old February 9, 2016   #775
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
Tville is back!!!

I thought I would post on my total fall crop. I had about 190 pounds of tomatoes this season from 10 earthboxes! about 19 lbs per earthboxes

New Issues Never Seen: Bird Damage (it got pretty bad)

Root Knot Nematode Damage in 4 earthboxes??? I thought this was impossible but when I pulled out my fall crop they definitely did some damage in 4 of my older boxes.... I think I may of had 2 or 3 boxes on the ground this year but now they are all on pavers. I didnt feel like emptying the three boxes and just planted my spring crop in them
I got root knot nematodes in one of mine too. I racked my brain for how, then I figured it out. When the yard man came by with his weed whacker, he often angled it so some of the yard dirt got kicked over the top. Then I would hose off the top to clean it of the dirt. Just enough dirt dropped down the opening I cut where the tomato plants got put, that was all it needed to "inoculate" the earthbox with nematodes. I have to have a talk with my yard man. Grrrr.

You can keep that soil, but it will involve covering and seal the EB with clear plastic after you drain and remove the showercap cover. Then it should sit in our 90+ degree summer heat for at least a week, I would do a month. It will solarize and cook the potting mix, sterilizing it.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote