View Single Post
Old April 5, 2018   #5
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I wouldn't look for HS aged help unless they were 18 yrs old, which pretty much rules out HS kids. I refuse to expose myself to any allegations. You are in the excruciating position of needing/wanting to expand, but needing to already be big enough to afford help to expand. When you put math to the "trade product for wages" scenario, you'd have to offer 27 lbs of produce @ $3 per lb just to pay eight hours wages at $10 per hour. How many kids would do that, or even want to take produce instead of cash?
Unless they were part of an AG program, and were looking at needing the Credit for a Class, then you are absolutely correct, which is what Patihum was getting at.

But otherwise, your math is pretty much what I had in mind. I would need to find an able bodied Adult, who has some free time, and doesnt mind the sweat equity factor.

Maybe I need to hunt out some Farms that do a CSA that way, and I know a few exist, to see how they handle such matters.

On a similar note, a few years ago I saw a Craigslist ad, advertising a 1 Acre Family Farm that was in need of help. Pay was in veggies. It always stuck in my mind.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote