View Single Post
Old April 17, 2017   #70
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
For "Fauxtatoes", my favorite recipe is from the ASDLC (alt.support.diet.low-carb) online recipe archive, which is a terrific resource for lots of tasty and interesting recipes for those watching their carbohydrate intake.

I do add a teaspoon of arrowroot to thicken it up a bit for the final step when it is run through the food processor or mashed up. A sprinkle or two of guar gum can also be used instead if you feel you need a little thickening. Great side dish! - serves 3-4.

Fauxtatoes from Debbie Cusick

1 head cauliflower, chopped, cooked very soft (my note - this is about 11 min at a soft (not rolling) boil)
3 oz. cream cheese
1 tbsp. butter (note 2 - I use 2 T instead)
Salt and pepper to taste
Mash, whip with a mixer, or blend in food processor. Jamie adds…"I've sometimes used a bag of frozen cauliflower, but I think a head of fresh cauliflower gives much better texture. I simmer the cauliflower with a chopped clove of garlic to cover the mild "cabbagey" taste." (note 3 - I would also recommend adding some minced garlic when cooking the cauliflower - I use about 2 lg cloves worth)
This is a great recipe!

Some variations
For butter substitute nutritional yeast just before you serve. The nutritional yeast is a great way to add a slight buttery flavor and loads of B vitamins

And you can add bacon bits to have a 'fully loaded' cauliflower mash... its similar to having a baked potato fully loaded =)

Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote