View Single Post
Old February 21, 2006   #27
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I think a lot of the reason craig gets such good germination is the sarin wrap he uses, which sounds the same as what we call cling film over here in the UK, it keeps the moisture droplets very close to the compost surface and seeds- bathing them in a constant shower of tepid water from the condensed droplets.

What I cant quite understand though, from craigs methods and pictures there appears to be no form of heating under the seed trays, is it just he heat of the sun through the window or is there some form of contant temp from central heating in the whole house, if so what sort of temp is present on the germination trays to get that sort or germination in six days, all the ones I do takes from four to eight days depending on variety at around 70/72 degrees F.

Sarin wrap is great for general germination- the only problem that I have found with this is that sometimes they dont all emerge at the same time, so you end up having to remove the wrap straight away for the majority but for those few that dont come through at the same time I have found that if you cut little cell size squares of the same wrap and place these individualy over any late emergers for a few days more it usualy does the trick.

Just one more thing- in the pictures the little white flecks in the mix, is it vermiculite or perlite as I cant quite make out which.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote